This historic limestone home and coach house in a landmark district on Astor Street was built in the late 1800's. Originally designed as an 11,000sf single family residence, the home was divided into nine apartments in the 1960's and had fallen into severe disrepair. The new owners purchased the property with a vision to convert the building back to a single family residence for their young family.
The design concept was to restore the exterior to its original state and reconstruct the interior into a home with an open floor plan and modern amenities for entertaining and family living, incorporating vintage details from the original property. Program requirements included five bedrooms, all new bathrooms, contemporary kitchen, salon, library, billiards room with bar, home office, cinema, play room, garage, and outdoor gardens with all new landscaping.
The five levels in the home are unified by a grand staircase flooded with natural light from a dramatic glass laylight roof. The first level includes a formal entry with rich wood and marble finishes, a walnut-paneled billiards room and bar, a separate family entry with mudroom, and a play room. A formal living and dining room with adjoining intimate salon are located on the second level; an addition at the rear of the home includes a custom De Giulio kitchen and family room. The third level master suite includes a marble bathroom, dressing room, library, and office. The fourth level includes the family bedrooms and a guest suite with a terrace and views of Lake Michigan. The lower level houses the custom home cinema.
Sustainable elements are seamlessly integrated throughout and include renewable materials, high-efficiency mechanicals and thermal envelope, restored original mahogany windows with new high-performance low-E glass, and a green roof.